Saturday, 18 September 2010
One of the new members to the Pannal Textile Group recently emailed the above picture and these comments:-
I am sticking my neck out a bit as the newest member but I so enjoyed my day, I thought you might like to see how much. Last year I tried to start a project on the theme of the Lindisfarne gospels and the Book of Kells but I got all the books out, sketch book and pencils, paints, etc and just looked at it for a couple of hours and decided that I couldn't do it.
Love the stitched samples on the page - hope you are all taking note?I have now made an 'ideas' page which I am really pleased with although I am still struggling with the drawing. I am now onto my page 'proper' and that is coming along quite well. I now need to go and do some housework as I have abandoned everything to get this far.
Thursday, 16 September 2010
My piece of work now has some monetary value!! The green circular motif on the left is a paper cast made over a purchased print block using up scraps of dissolvable paper. Painted with various types of acrylic paint. Hand stitched to the surface with a Madeira metallic machine thread.
The metallic coin is a piece of copper shim which I have embossed, heated, painted with alcohol inks, then blue and black acrylic paint rubbed off. A piece of felt was placed behind it prior to it being stitched onto the surface of the page.
Wednesday, 15 September 2010
As we are looking at embroidery through the ages a new link has been added to the Blog to assist you.
If you look under Links to Interesting Blogs on the left hand side of your screen you will see there is a tag for 'History of Embroidery'. This blog was created by Helen Cowans and has been recently updated.
When you launch the blog there is a bar along the top with various dates along it. You click on the period you are interested in and up pops the history. Just scroll down.
Bayeux Tapestry is on there .... with lots of links to other sites from it.
Tuesday, 14 September 2010
The celtic motifs at the top of the piece were drawn onto a piece of iron-on pelmet vilene with a Sharpie felt tip. These were then coloured in using the Crayola wax crayons. The outlines were cut out and ironed onto the background. Further work is needed to integrate them into the background and make them part of the overall effect instead of just sitting on the top.